Saturday, March 6, 2010

Glasses

So I recently replaced my glasses and I thought I'd pass along what I learned. First of all, if you are a starving student family like us and have Medicaid, you can get free eye exams and glasses at the Eye Center on Windsor. The selection they have that are applicable aren't that great, but they work- even if you just need them as a backup.

Second of all, don't buy them from a retail store like lenscrafters or pearle vision. Even when they run a 2 for 1 sale, their rates are still higher than normal. I went around and found a pair I liked, but if I had bought them from Pearle vision I would have paid $500 total. Their lenses run from $175 for the most basic lens and around $300 for any anti-glare, etc. Instead look around, find some frames you like and look them up online. I bought the exact same frames for half the price online.

The cheapest place for lenses is Sam's Club. Frames there are also VERY affordable so much so that I wish I would have bought some there in the first place. They will charge a $20 fee for doing glasses that you bought elsewhere. BUT, their lenses range from $75-$150, so it's totally worth it.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Have you considered buying glasses online? We've got a how-to guide written here:

http://www.justeyewear.com/how-to-buy-glasses-online

You can get glasses as low as $8 per pair, including the lenses. The quality is just as good too, it just takes a little bit of legwork to figure out your prescription and pick out a frame.

There are several reputable companies out there, but we're the only LDS owned and operated one, as far as I know. =)